Pages

Monday 30 April 2012

Migraine and Diet: the search for the Holy Grail......

Over the years that I have had migraine I have developed a tense relationship with certain food and drink! I cover it up as much as I can but quite clearly this is impossible. The other day my 3 year old girl looked at my unusual lunchtime choice of rice and chicken tikka (I normally have a sandwich) and she said to me "mummy, have you got a migraine?".......

Clearly my relationship with food is complex......and the more I hear and read, the more I realise what a complex area it is.......this is where I stand at the moment with the food and drink in my life......

I have fallen out with alcohol big time because of the number of self induced migraines it has caused me. I only ever consumed a small(ish) amount but it made me sick (in the toilet) and sick (in the head). I called it a day a fair few years ago when even a glass of wine seemed to wipe out the following day or two. However, I understand from reading around that it's not the alcohol itself but something called congeners. These are found in wine in large amounts but not as much in vodka or gin........that cheers me up no end and when I feel fabulous, I am going to introduce a vodka or two into my life.......

I'm not talking to citrus fruit either.......no more satsumas or oranges. This might seem unfair to the unassuming satsuma as I have no evidence that it does cause migraines at all, I'm just being very cautious.

I'm deeply in love with cheese. I love the smell, the texture, the way it melts......hmmmm, and it pains me to say that (sniff) I have had to say a fond farewell (sniff), with tears in my eyes......
(sorry, I just need a break.....)......(sniff, blow nose)........to brie, mature cheddar and parmesan. Again, I'm not absolutely completely sure that there is a link.....so I may be depriving myself for absolutely completely no reason......but all the books mention it and everyone who doesn't suffer from migraine seems to know that cheese is a trigger.

Chocolate....again I'm not giving it any of my attention......the children have it and I vacate the room as I am lured in by its tempting aroma. It sits there in my sweet cupboard and calls to me.....Migraine mum.....come to me...you want me........I get seduced, give into temptation and then like an elicit affair, feel really guilty......

I have had many well meaning people tell me their migraine stories. "have you tried giving up tomotoes?"or "my migraines completely and absolutely stopped when I gave up eating chocolate and cheese together" or once in a health food shop the shop assistant said to me "have you tried giving up dairy, sugar, wheat, caffeine, alcohol, tomatoes, citrus fruit, chocolate, eggs, and gluten....?" ....AND LIFE??????

But I'm left with this gnawing feeling that may be thats what I've got to do.......to face up to reality that the shere frequency of my migraines must be linked to something else in my diet,,,,and if I could just find that bit of my diet that is causing all this pain then there would be no more migraines......or less migraines...I'd settle for that! 

So the search for the Holy Grail begins........more to follow next week..........







No comments: