Pages

Monday 14 May 2012

Migraine: watch out Ugly Beast, there's Botox about...

Migraine mum is feeling washed out from 2 days of pain, noise and light phobia. It all started on Thursday night when I woke up at 2am with an excruciating stomach pain, (I'm only used to head pain and know what to do with that!) I thought I was going to be sick. It felt like a reaction to something and bearing in mind I've not been eating gluten for nearly two weeks, I wondered if maybe I had eaten some by accident.

So, I went downstairs, doubled up in pain, made a hot water bottle, took an anti sickness pill and started to google food I had eaten......doubled up over my laptop!!....why did I put Guinness in my Steak and Guinness stew?? ..all beer and ales have gluten in!! Well, I know that now......

The headache reared its ugly head on Saturday. "Oh I can get rid of that with aspirin!" I said to myself optimistically.  But no I couldn't......I took the triptan and said to my husband, "I know I get migraines very frequently, but at least I don't have to go to bed much these days with them, they're much milder than they used to be!"...

The Ugly Beast heard these confident words and decided to show me that the Ugly Beast is still in charge.......the pain (in my head this time) woke me up in the night and I resorted to another snort of triptan. I was bed bound on Sunday morning but managed to sleep. When I woke up, the Ugly Beast made sure I felt rubbish, low, weepy and unable to deal effectively with my boundary testing children.

Later I began to feel some more energy and managed to convince myself to go out with my family for a meal. I wanted to grasp the day, but I found myself following child number 3 around the overheated pub, standing at fruit machines (with my Migraine glasses on), and going in and out of toilets (she has an obsession with going to public toilets) On the third visit just after she had shouted "I'm going to have a squidgy pooh!" while everyone was eating their Sunday roast (the gravy suddenly didn't look too appetising!), I rushed her in to the toilet, locked the door..........and watched her rip toilet paper up, flinging it into the air and shouting, "mum, we're locked in the dungeon!".........she didn't need the toilet.......

She summed it all up. I felt I was locked in the dungeon.......trapped on my own with the Ugly Beast (who is not my child I hasten to add!) I realised that even when the pain has gone, the post migraine phase can be as debilitating as the migraine pain itself. The impact of having a migraine when you need to be social and energetic is asking too much of anyone's brain. The Ugly Beast sends you into solitary confinement, isolating you from everyone and it's very hard to combat.

The Ugly Beast is still lurking but I've had stern words with it. I have told the Ugly Beast that if I find that I cannot get rid of it with a gluten or a dairy free diet, then having tried every prophylactic drug under the sun, and alternative therapies, I may get rescued by the new Knight in shining armour....Botox.........I can feel Ugly Beast's power is now shrinking away as this new hope emerges for migraine sufferers and may be for me......

So I could end up migraine free and looking like Angelina Jolie! What a result!

(See the links for more information on Botox)




No comments: